What exactly is Commercial dance?
Commercial dance represents a wide variety of dance styles, including modern, jazz, hip-hop, breakdancing, and more. The choreography for commercial dance is typically used for concerts, music videos, television shows, movies, and others.
Commercial dances are designed for students who wish to join the commercial entertainment industry. Graduates of commercial dance programs are expected to be knowledgeable in a range of styles and be able to navigate the ever-changing industry of commercial dance.
Commercial Dance Vs. Contemporary Dance
There is a never-ending debate in the dance world about the difference between contemporary and commercial dance. Some people believe that contemporary is a more technical and artistic form of dance, while commercial dance is more about entertainment and showmanship. Others believe that the two forms are pretty similar and that the only real difference is how they are performed.
So, what really is the difference between contemporary and commercial dance? Here is a breakdown of the two styles:
Contemporary dance is a style of expressive dance that combines elements of both classical ballet and modern dance. It is often characterised by fluidity of movement, emotional expressiveness, and a focus on the dancer's internal experience.
Commercial dance is a dance style usually performed in a theatre or on a stage. It is often characterised by its flashy, high-energy moves and its use of props and costumes. Commercial dance is often used in musical theatre productions, such as Broadway shows.
So, which style is right for you? If you are interested in a more technical and artistic form of dance, then contemporary dance may be a good choice. Commercial dance may be a better choice if you are interested in a more high-energy, flashy form of dance. Ultimately, the decision is up to you!
Career Paths for Commercial Dancers
While many commercial dancers start their careers as background dancers or in small roles, there are many ways to break into the industry and establish yourself as a top performer. Here are a few career paths for commercial dancers:
1. Join a dance company: Many commercial dancers get their start by joining a professional dance company. This can be a great way to get experience performing in front of live audiences and honing your craft. It can also help you make industry connections that can lead to other opportunities.
2. Work as a backup dancer: Another common way to break into the commercial dance world is to work as a backup dancer for established artists. This can be a great way to get your foot in the door and gain exposure to the industry. It can also be a lot of fun!
3. Teach dance: If you have a passion for teaching, you can pursue a career as a dance instructor. There are several ways to do this, including teaching at a dance studio, teaching private lessons, or even teaching online.
4. Choreograph: If you have a unique vision and a talent for creating original choreography, you can pursue a career as a choreographer. This can be a great way to create your own opportunities and work with some of the top performers in the industry.
5. Perform in music videos: Music videos are a great way to showcase your dancing skills and get exposure to a wider audience. If you're lucky, you might even get to work with some of the biggest names in the music industry.
Commercial dancers are some of the most versatile and in-demand performers in the entertainment industry. With their ability to combine dance, acting, and even modelling, they can be seen in music videos, commercials, television shows, movies, and live stage productions.
While many commercial dancers start their careers as background dancers or in minor roles, there are several ways to break into the industry and establish yourself as a top performer. So if you're interested in a future in this field, it's time to start your dance lessons in London.
Adore Dance offers the best dance courses in London for beginner and advanced dancers. Find out more about the courses we offer today!